Scranton Road Legal Clinic
Scranton Road Ministries CDC provides practical training and encouragement for many different areas within our community, whether that’s healthcare services, after school programs, or workforce training.
But an urgent area of need in this neighborhood is legal education and training. The American Bar Association says that in neighborhoods like this one, 40% of families encounter at least one legal problem per year, and a recent study by The Legal Services Corporation found that less than 20% of low-income Americans get the legal assistance they need when facing a critical civil legal problem. That’s where Scranton Road Legal Clinic comes in: to educate and empower people to make informed legal decisions.
We provide not only legal education and advice, but also faith-based support for the spiritual, emotional, and relational challenges that many times accompany legal concerns.
To best support those in our community with their legal needs, the Legal Clinic provides two types of services:
- Community Legal Education Workshops: In partnership with local nonprofits, attorneys teach workshops on landlord-tenant law, debt management, probate law, and more. These workshops are perfect for those who may have recently encountered a legal issue and want to know where to start.
- Brief Advice Sessions: For those who would like detailed counsel on a specific legal situation, the Legal Clinic offers personal consultations with one of our attorneys. While Scranton Road Legal Clinic does not provide formal legal representation, we use our resources and our network to inform clients and connect them to the help they need.
For the first consultation, a $20 administrative fee applies, with financial assistance available as needed. To schedule an appointment with an attorney, call (216) 861-5323. Due to our organizational mission, our services are limited to individuals in the Cleveland, Ohio area.
If you have legal training, or if you’re passionate about our vision, offering your time to an organization like the Legal Clinic can powerfully advance the cause of justice in our neighborhood. We are in need of the following:
- Attorneys to teach education workshops and to meet with clients for advice sessions.
- Paralegal and Law Students to conduct intake interviews and assist with paperwork.
- Financial Partners to further our mission and vision.
- Collaborative Partners to share their networks of attorneys and legal nonprofits with us.
If you would like to volunteer, contact Sheila Fell, Program Director, (216) 861-5323 or firstname.lastname@example.org.